ArticlesBlog

Torch Applied Modified Bitumen Overview — Application Excellence

Torch Applied Modified Bitumen Overview — Application Excellence


Welcome to Garland’s Application Excellence overview of torch-applied roofing. Torch-applied roofs are durable, proven, reliable
waterproofing systems that have been around for over 30 years. The torching process melts the bitumen on
the cap sheet and securely bonds it to the base sheet, creating a very strong watertight
bond. Torch-applied roof systems provide an alternative
to traditional hot-mopped or cold-applied systems where roof access is restricted or
where odors are a concern. They also require less equipment and offer
a cleaner, more aesthetically pleasing look compared to asphalt roofs. Torch-applied roof systems are most commonly
used on low-slope roofs, but they can be installed with success on steeper slope roofs or barrel-shaped
roofs. The use of a torch can be very dangerous. Careful consideration needs to be taken into
account during installation. Only properly trained and professionally equipped
roofing contractors should install these systems. Due to fire hazards, it is also important
to note that these systems should only be installed on roofs with non-combustible decks. Now that you have a general understanding
of torch roof systems, let’s talk about a few general installation guidelines… * Ensure the installer is trained in the proper use of torch application and safety procedures. Contractors can obtain certification through
The Certified Roofing Torch Application program administered by NRCA. * Prior to installation, identify all potentially combustible and flammable aspects of the building’s use and design that increase the risk of fire * A gypsum board must be used between the roofing membrane and any combustible materials,
such as wood. * Wear heavy gloves and long sleeves when
lighting and using the torch. Adjust the torch so it produces a concentrated
flame that is mostly blue. * Hold the torch 4 to 6 inches from the roll * Position the torch so 80% of the flame is on the roll with the remaining 20% on the base sheet; torching is a very delicate process that can impact future performance of the
roof if not done correctly * The roll has been heated to an ideal temperature when the burn backer on the backside of the sheet melts away * Heat and pull the roll to prevent footprints * Torch and roll succeeding sheets the way
you did the first sheet. Take special care to fully heat the seam between
the sheets. There are also several precautions to be considered: * Never apply flame directly to combustible
materials or allow the flame to enter into hidden or protected areas that may contain
combustible material * Use extreme caution when working around equipment that has electrical and/or gas connections, such as gas lines or HVAC units * Keep all solvent-containing materials away from heat, open flame or any source of ignition * Lit torch must be placed in a functional torch stand when not in use * Never leave a lit torch unattended * An ABC-rated fire extinguisher is required
on the roof during installation * A fire watch for at least two hours after
the last torch is turned off is recommended; this includes also checking the roof’s underside
for smoldering Torch-applied systems combine the strength
and proven performance of a multi-ply configuration with the durability, flexibility and elongation
of an elastomeric roofing system that can stand up to the test of time. While the techniques shown here may apply
to most projects, this video does not cover all situations. We encourage you to contact your local Garland
representative with any questions.

Comment here